Urban Forests, Carbon Storage, and a Changing Climate
Urban forestry is an emerging field that can change the dynamics of cities as well as mitigate negative impacts from climate change. Many small municipalities lack the resources to establish a forestry department. Additionally, larger cities that have forestry departments have identified knowledge gaps persist in the intersection of urban forests, climate change, and equity.
With funding from the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI), American Forests, and the USDA Forest Service Eastern Region State, Private, and Tribal Forestry, FCCP aims to assist decision makers in the complex field of urban forestry through research and synthesis of recent and relevant work in urban forests. We will use the information we have distilled to develop e-learning content and graphics to communicate complex topics. This project will also utilize previous FCCP course content on forest carbon fundamentals.
Ultimately, this project aims to improve the ability of forest managers, policy actors, and extension agents to deliver information to targeted audiences on urban forestry and climate change mitigation issues. This will lead to an increased capacity on multiple levels to make management decisions that have many positive outcomes, both socially and ecologically.
Course development was made possible through funding from the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI), American Forests, and the USDA Forest Service Eastern Region State, Private, and Tribal Forestry
- Evan Beresford, Program Associate, MSU FCCP
- Dr. Asia Dowtin, Assistant Professor of Urban and Community Forestry
- Lauren Cooper, Program Director, MSU FCCP
- Daphna Gadoth-Goodman, Senior Research Assistant, MSU FCCP
- Adrianna Sutton, Communications Manager, MSU FCCP
- Madeline Baroli, Climate Adaptation Specialist, Michigan Technological University and NIACS
- Sally Ross, Climate Resource Assistant, USFS & NIACS
- Em Esch, Digital Media & Education Specialist, MSU FCCP
- Anna Heise, Communications Assistant, MSU FCCP
- Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI)
- Northern Institute of Applied Climate Science (NIACS)
- American Forests (AF)