Educational Bulletins and Publications
You can search for and order bulletins at our MSU Extension Bookstore Publications Website:(http://shop.msu.edu/category_s/345.htm)
Commercial Soil Testing
The MSU Soil Lab is an essential university function and will remain open through the COVID-19 shutdown. The samples will be processed, however, the office and building are closed. You may mail your samples to:
Soil and Plant Nutrient Laboratory
Department of Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences
Plant and Soil Sciences Building
1066 Bogue Street, Room A81
East Lansing, Michigan 48824-1325
Your sample can be submitted in a zip-type sandwich bags as soil boxes for sample collection cannot be ordered online. You can print our information sheets off of our website at: soiltesting.msu.edu or https://www.canr.msu.edu/spnl/. There is a cart outside the Soil and Plant Nutrient Laboratory campus building on the loading dock if you wish to drop-off samples. Test results will be interpreted by an agricultural Extension educator. To understand your soil test results go online at the MSU Soil Test.com (http://msusoiltest.com)
Home, Yard and Garden
Toll-Free Lawn and Garden Hotline: 1-888-678-3464 (1-888-MSUE-4MI)
- PLEASE NOTE: Hotline is staffed by MSU Extension Consumer Horticulture Educators and Master Gardener volunteers and may not be available during the Shelter in Place order.
- Locally, the Kalamazoo County Master Gardener Helpline can be contacted by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Home Soil Test Kit
Available to purchase for $25, order online at MSU Extension Bookstore - Bulletin E-3154 Note: You must provide an email address as results will be sent directly to you via email. If you would like help interpreting test results, call our statewide Lawn and Garden Helpline at 1-888-678-3464, option 1
Pesticide Applicator Program; Certification, Training, Exams and Manuals
Certification and Training
- MSU Extension Pesticide Training & Certification
- Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development(MDARD)
Manuals for Certification Training
- Can be purchased at MSU Extension Bookstore.
Food Preservation: Pressure Cooker Gauge Testing
Testing is temporarily suspended due to the Shelter in Place order.