Graduate Student Spotlight
Graduate students make up an active group in the Department of Animal Science, and their Graduate Research Forum was the highlight of the fall semester.
Graduate Student Summary
As of Fall 2017, forty graduate students are advised by animal science faculty, with a total of 27 PhD and 13 MS students. These numbers include non-ANS students advised by ANS faculty enrolled in the campus graduate genetics or reproductive and developmental sciences programs.
Graduate Research Forum
The 12th Annual Animal Science Graduate Research Forum took place October 19 in Anthony Hall. The forum is a venue for graduate students to present their research projects to the department, college, and university communities.
The forum is coordinated entirely by a committee of Animal Science graduate students and a faculty advisor; this year the committee and faculty advisor included Matheus Capelari, Ashley Melnick, Ariadna Ochoa-Bernal, and Dr. Chen Chen. Barb Sweeney, Graduate Student Coordinator, helped coordinate the event.
The 2017 forum consisted of eight poster and seventeen oral presentations given by MS and PhD students. Drs. Steve Bursian, Jason Knott, and Ming Yuan Yang served as judges.
- first place - Kaitlin Wurtz
- second place - Rachel Martin
- third place - Rodrigo de Souza.
- Ashley Melnik
New Graduate Student Award:
- Marin Western
Congratulations to all the participants and supporters for another successful event!
Visit the Graduate Student Forum webpage for more photos.
Fall 2017 Graduates
- Kaitlin Wurtz (Advisors: Drs. Janice Siegford and Juan Steibel)
- Meredith Frie (Cell & Molecular Biology program; Advisor: Dr. Paul Coussens)
Summer 2017 Graduates
- Chunyu Chen (Advisor: Dr. Robert Tempelman)
- Laura Gualdron Duarte (Advisor: Dr. Michael Allen)
- Brooke Latack (Advisor: Dr. Wendy Powers)
- Muhammad Yasir Nawaz (Advisor: Dr. Robert Tempelman)
- Paige Stanley (Advisor: Dr. Jason Rowntree)