Jo Latimore, Ph.D.
Areas of Expertise:
Stream, lake, and watershed ecology; community-based monitoring and management of freshwater ecosystems; aquatic invasive species; science communication
Ph.D., Fisheries and Wildlife, Michigan State University, 2005
M.S., Biological Sciences, University of Notre Dame, 2000
B.A., Biology, Albion College
I am an aquatic ecologist and Outreach Specialist in the Department of Fisheries and Wildlife. I am particularly interested in aquatic invasive species prevention, detection, and management; volunteer monitoring of Michigan's streams and lakes (citizen science); science communication, outreach, and engagement; and natural resources leadership development.
As a Senior Outreach Specialist, the majority of my work is focused on engaging with individuals and organizations to promote understanding and stewardship of aquatic ecosystems. Key partners in these efforts include Michigan State University Extension, Michigan Lakes and Streams Association, Inc., and the Michigan Departments of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE); Natural Resources (DNR); and Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD).
Visit Jo Latimore's website.
- Aquatic invasive species prevention, detection, and management
- Volunteer monitoring of Michigan's streams and lakes; citizen science
- Science communication, outreach, and engagement
- Natural resources leadership development
- Aquatic Entomology, ENT 422
- Aquatic Ecosystem Management, FW 414
- Seminar: Effective Outreach and Engagement in Fisheries and Wildlife, FW 893
- Department of Fisheries and Wildlife
- Michigan State University Extension
- Michigan State University Extension Center for Lakes and Streams
- Michigan Lakes and Streams Association, Inc.
- Michigan Clean Water Corps (MiCorps)
Emerging from the deep
Published on April 21, 2023
Freshwater mussels of Michigan
Published on September 9, 2022
Thick ‘rock snot’ continues to be found in Michigan rivers
Published on May 26, 2022
Boat cleaning equipment at launch sites can stop the spread of aquatic invasive species
Published on July 12, 2021
Michigan Clean Water Corps to be administered by MSU through new $1.7 million grant
Published on September 30, 2020
Appreciate your lake
Published on July 28, 2020
Michigan’s 2020 Citizen Science Lake Monitoring Program
Published on April 15, 2020
MSU Extension hires new water resources educator
Published on December 19, 2019