John M. Staatz
John M. Staatz, Professor Emeritus, Department of Agricultural, Food and Resource Economics at Michigan State University focused his career since 1975 on issues of agricultural development in Africa. Professor of Agricultural Economics and African Studies at Michigan State University, he is co-editor of the most widely used textbook on agricultural development (International Agricultural Development, 3rd ed., Johns Hopkins Univ. Press) and served between 1985 and 2008 as co-director of MSU’s Food Security Group, which carried out research, outreach and capacity building throughout Sub-Saharan Africa.
His research and graduate teaching focused on improving food system organization and performance (particularly in West Africa), agricultural marketing and international trade, design of market information systems, policy reform, and improving the performance of farmer cooperatives. For over 28 years, he helped lead MSU’s work on agricultural development in Mali (see also Democracy and Development in Mali, Michigan State Univ. Press 2002) and has provided backstopping to work on agricultural marketing and policy reforms in numerous other countries. On November 23, 2013, Malian President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita bestowed on Dr. John Staatz the title of “Officier de l’ordre national du Mali” for his longstanding contribution to food policy analysis and capacity building in Mali. In early 2015, Syngenta Foundation interviewed John Staatz from MSU about agriculture in West Africa. Here’s what he said: “With good policy and the right investment, West Africa’s farming can flourish”
He played a key role in the development and implementation of the Partnership to Cut Hunger and Poverty in Africa and has frequently been called on to advise USAID, World Bank, the United Nations Industrial Development Organization, the Club du Sahel, CILSS, the Government of Mali, and other international development organizations. He mentored scores of young African professionals and played a key role in building MSU’s partnerships with research and training organizations in Africa. In 2003 he was awarded the Ralph Smuckler Award for Advancing International Studies and Programs at Michigan State University. In 2010 he was unanimously elected and inducted as a Distinguished Fellow of the African Association of Agricultural Economists. This recognition is based on Professor Staatz’s enormous scholarly contributions and leadership in the field of agricultural economics, especially his sterling contributions to African agriculture over many years.
He retired as Professor Emeritus from MSU in 2011 although he has continued working with the MSU Food Security Group in implementing food and agricultural development projects in Mali and other areas of West Africa.
- AFRE Excellence in Teaching Award - John Staatz - 2009
- John M.Staatz and Michael T.Weber, 2003. Ralph Smuckler International Awards Ceremony at MSU
- Distinguished Fellow Of The African Association Of Agricultural Economists - 2012
- John M. Staatz honored by Malian President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita with the title of “Officier de l’ordre national du Mali” - 2013
- AFRE Excellence in Teaching Award - John Staatz - 2009
- View Staatz Publications at Google Scholar
- View Staatz Publications at Ideas/RePEc
Selected publications, many downloadable
- Strengthening Regional Agricultural Integration in West Africa: Key Findings & Policy Implications. 2017. Edited by: John M. Staatz, Boubacar Diallo and Nathalie M. Me-Nsope. A joint e-publication by the Syngenta Foundation for Sustainable Agriculture and Michigan State University.
- Agricultural Growth in West Africa (AGWA): Market and Policy Drivers. 2015. edited by Frank Hollinger (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations) and John M. Staatz (Michigan State University)
- The Changing Asian Rice Economy and its Implications for the Development of the Rice Subsector in West Africa. 2013. By Ramziath T. Adjao and John M. Staatz
- Contributor to: Agribusiness for Africa’s Prosperity. 2012. Edited by Kandeh K. Yumkella, et. al. UNIDO E-Book
- Staatz and Yumkella Video - Agribusiness Seminar at IFPRI. 2011. Video Presentation
- International Agricultural Development. 1998. Edited by Carl K. Eicher and John Staatz. (Third Edition - John Hopkins)
- Review. 2001. Democracy and Development in Mali. Edited by R. James Bingen, David Robinson, and John M. Staatz.
- History Book Review - Video: Democracy and Development in Mali. Edited by R. James Bingen, et.,al.
- Democracy and Development in Mali. 2000. Edited by R. James Bingen, David Robinson and John M. Staatz
- Reflections on Trying to Change Development Policy. 2000. Presentation by J.M. Staatz about MSU Faculty and Student Contributions to the Partnership to Cut Hunger and Poverty in Africa:
- Strategic Pathways to Cutting Hunger in Africa” by John Staatz. 2000.
- Fostering Agricultural and Food System Transformation in Africa. 1996. By John M. Staatz and Moussa Ba
- Food Security III Cooperative Agreement - [2002 - 2012]
- Food Security II Cooperative Agreement - [1992 - 2002]
- Food Security in Africa Cooperative Agreement - 1985 - 1992]
Archive and Timeline of Staatz’s contributions to specific projects for Malian agricultural, marketing and food security development and in related West African countries
- MSU-CESA Food Security Project -1985/92
- Mali Market Information Study (SIM) - [1987/94]
- Mali Maize Subsector Study - [1992/94]
- Mali Agricultural Growth/Nutrition Linkages Project - [1998/2002]
- Mali Marketing Information Project – [1998/2003]
- Mali Food Security Initiatives: Phase II.2, Phase II.1, Phase I - [2004/2013]
- West Africa Market Information Projects (WAMIP) – [2007/2011]
- Strengthening Regional Agricultural Integration - SRAI (Phases I & II) [2009 - 2016]
- Improving the Inclusiveness of Agricultural Value Chains in West and Central Africa [2013-2015]
- Guiding Investments in Sustainable Agricultural Markets in Africa : GISAMA - [2008/1012]
- Legacy Version - Mali Agricultural Sector Assessment. 2011. by MSU/AFRE Food Security Team
Revue de la politique régionale sur les intrants: Rapport de Synthèse
Published on November 3, 2015
Trends in Per Capita Food Availability in West Africa, 1980-2009
Published on February 1, 2013
Impact of Agricultural Market Information Systems Activities on Market Performance in Mozambique
Published on July 1, 2012
Staple Food Market Sheds in West Africa
Published on February 1, 2012
Linking Emergency Response to Need in “Food Emergencies”
Published on April 1, 2007
Emergency Needs Assessments and the Impact of Food Aid on Local Markets
Published on May 3, 2006