Scott Swinton is a University Distinguished Professor in agricultural and environmental economics. He recently taught undergraduate managerial economics and graduate research design and writing. His economic research looks at agriculture as a managed ecosystem, focusing on management and policy analysis for enhanced ecosystem services. He concentrates on problems involving crop pest, pollination, and nutrient management; precision agriculture; resource conservation; bioenergy crop production; and management of risks to human health and income. Besides his work on U.S. farming, he has extensive experience with agricultural and natural resource management in Latin America and Africa. He served as President of the Agricultural and Applied Economics Association during 2017-18 and on its elected Executive Board during 2012-15 and 2016-19. MSU granted him its William J. Beal Outstanding Faculty award in 2015 and named him University Distinguished Professor in 2019.
Research and Outreach Interests
- Design of incentives to induce adoption of environmentally beneficial farming technologies
- Valuation of ecosystem services linked to agriculture
- Design of sustainable bioenergy production systems
- Formulation of compelling research arguments
- Research Design and Writing in Applied Economics (AFRE 891, graduate, 2018 on)
- Economics of Decision Making in the Agri-food System (ABM 303, undergraduate, 2016, 2018 now)
- Applied Microeconomics (AFRE 900A, graduate, 2011-14).
- Agricultural Production Economics (AEC 855, graduate, 1994-98, 2000-10).
- Ecological Economics (EEP 255, undergraduate, 2007, 2009)
- Agricultural Operations Management (AEC 851, graduate, 2003-04, 2006).
- Agricultural Firm Management (AEC 851, graduate, 1993-96, 1998).
- Farm Business Management (FSM 330, undergraduate, 1991-98).
Associate chairperson for graduate study, 2011-16.
E. B. Hill and the Farm Management Roots of MSU Agricultural Economics
Published on March 30, 2022
CANR names new chair to lead Department of Agricultural, Food and Resource Economics
Published on June 21, 2021
Morel Mushrooms: From the Forest to the Farm
Published on April 28, 2020
University Distinguished Professor Scott Swinton Named an AAEA Fellow
Published on February 5, 2020
PBS Interviews Professor Scott Swinton on Becoming a University Distinguished Professor
Published on December 19, 2019
Zombie weeds are coming for America’s fields
Published on October 18, 2019
Precision farming comes into its own
Published on October 7, 2019
Precision Agriculture Enters the Main Stream
Published on August 28, 2019
AFRE faculty member named University Distinguished Professor
Published on June 27, 2019