Veronique Theriault is an associate professor in the Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics at Michigan State University (MSU). She received her Ph.D. in Food and Resource Economics from the University of Florida. This followed an MSc in Resource Economics and Policy from the University of Maine and a BSc in Agricultural Economics and Management from Université Laval. While at MSU, Dr. Theriault has been affiliated with the Food Security Group, African Studies Center, Canadian Studies Center, and Center for Gender in Global Context.
Addressing global challenges related to food and agricultural systems form the core of Dr. Theriault’s research agenda. Her research portfolio includes conceptual and empirical studies along agricultural value chains from input provision to farming, processing, trading, and consumption. She has conducted research in the US., Canada, and several sub-Saharan African countries, including Burkina Faso, Guinea, Kenya, Mali, Niger, and Senegal. Output includes many peer-reviewed journal articles, series of working papers as well as presentations at academic conferences and stakeholder meetings. These research efforts have been funded by diverse sources, such as USAID, USDA, the Gates Foundation, and International Fund for Agricultural Development.
Dr. Theriault is currently an investigator on these projects:
- Quantifying the Scale and Scope of Nutritious Cowpea Products in Local Markets
- Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy Research, Capacity, & Influence.
- Building Capacity to Improve Postharvest Management.
Dr. Theriault was previously an investigator on these projects:
- Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy: Mali
- Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy: West Africa
- Feed The Future Innovation Lab For Food Security Policy
- Guiding Investments in Sustainable Agricultural Intensification in Africa - GISAIA
- Enhancing Agricultural Value Chain Contributions to Agricultural Growth, Food Security, and Nutrition
- Improving the Inclusiveness of Agricultural Value Chains in West and Central Africa
- How Input Subsidy Policies Change the Cowpea Farming Landscape in West Africa
- Strengthening Regional Agricultural Integration in West Africa
Research and Outreach Interest:
- Agricultural development and policy
- Agri-food system transformation
- Farm productivity and technology adoption
- Food and nutrition security
- Gender and intra-household resource allocations
- Markets, trade, and institutions
- Sustainable agriculture and the environment
Consumption of fruits and vegetables by types and sources across urban and rural Senegal
Published on March 14, 2023
Award winning Senegalese alum back to MSU after more than a quarter of a century
Published on February 7, 2023
Assessment of the Policy Enabling Environment for Large-Scale Food Fortification (LSFF) —With an Application to Kenya—
Published on December 5, 2022
Beyond grain: the potential of cowpea in local markets of Mali
Published on September 5, 2022
PRCI train-the-trainer model builds the next generation of global researchers
Published on June 17, 2022