March 11, 2016
- Height: 40’ - 60’
- Spread: 30’
- Site characteristics: Fine to coarse-textured soils; shade-tolerant
- Zone: 3b - 8b
- Wet/dry: Tolerates drought
- Native range: Northeastern United States
- Salt: Sensitive
- pH: 5.0 - 8.2
- Other: Tolerates light shade, wind and heat.
- Shape: Pyramidal when young; open, irregular when mature.
- Other: Dark green, leathery leaves
- Cultivars: ‘Prairie Pride’ – rapid compact grower, thick leathery foliage
- Additional: Transplant in spring, somewhat slow to establish.
- Pests: Nipple gall and witch’s broom can be unsightly
Print a PDF of this page: Hackberry