Michigan 4-H Leadership & Civic Engagement ImpactsDOWNLOAD FILE
September 24, 2019 - Author: Michigan State University Extension
MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY EXTENSION is growing current and future leaders by providing programs that instill young people with the knowledge and skills to become positive agents of change in their communities, country and world.
Civic education and engagement
Global and cultural competency
16,000 Michigan youth engaged in 4-H leadership and civic engagement programs.
49,000 Michigan 4-H youth experiences related to citizenship, leadership, cultural education and communication.
In comparison to before their 4-H experiences, youth engaged in MSU Extension leadership and civic engagement 4-H programs showed significant increases in skills related to conflict resolution, facilitation, civic participation, leadership, communication and cultural competencies. Surveyed participants indicated that:
- 98% respect people from different cultures.
- 94% try to change things they think are wrong.
- 92% could stand up for what they think is right, even if their friends disagree.
- 95% felt everyone on a team was important.
- 100% enjoyed learning about people who were different from them.
Data compiled from 2017-2018 Michigan 4-H programs.