Published on April 10, 2018
Published on August 9, 2017
Published on August 9, 2017
Published on June 29, 2017
Michigan Meat Network
The Michigan Meat Network supports efforts to produce, process, distribute, and sell local and regional meat products in Michigan.
This business to business network strives to improve business communication, support the growth of strategic alliances between farms, processors, and other supply-chain partners, improve business viability for Michigan’s livestock producers and meat processors, all while helping meet consumer demand for local and regional meat products.
There is no cost to participate in the network.
The network includes the entire meat value chain, from producer to consumer:
- Michigan’s livestock producers, including beef, pork, small ruminants, poultry and specialty meat producers
- Meat processors (USDA inspected, custom-exempt, and retail-exempt establishments)
- Food distributors (meat wholesalers, food hubs, and broadline distributors)
- Institutional food service departments (schools, hospitals, childcare and assisted living)
- Retail businesses (grocery, specialty stores, butcher shops, and restaurants)
- Educators, researchers, extension agents, and regulators
Core partner organizations include the Michigan Meat Association, MSU Extension, Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, Michigan Restaurant and Lodging Association, Michigan Farm Bureau, and many others.
Individuals, businesses, and organizations are invited to join the MI MEAT NET Google Group, download resources, and participate in Network events and programming.
Why participate in the network?
There are many benefits of participating in the Michigan Meat Network:
- Opportunities to attend educational and networking events for Michigan producers, processors, food processionals, and buyers.
- Use of MI MEAT NET Google Group to post questions, seek business connections, make announcements, and learn about new resources and upcoming meat/ livestock related events.
- Access to business and technical resources for producers, processors, and meat marketers including current research, webinars, and business tools.
- Giving feedback and making recommendations for future programming, resources, and research based on your needs and experiences working with Michigan meat and livestock.
The network offers several tools to help business partners connect and build markets.
Have a question about state regulations? Looking to find a new supplier (or be that supplier!) of local beef? Maybe you need some advice on buying a piece of equipment? The MI Meat Net Google Group allows users to do all these things by connecting meat and livestock stakeholders around the state.
This online discussion forum lets subscribers send and receive posts that reach 100+ other farmers, processors, food businesses in every region of Michigan – from Marquette to Dearborn. Be sure to tell your colleagues and associates about this unique online resource for Michigan meat and livestock businesses.
Sign up for the MI MEAT NET Google Group to learn more.
The Michigan Meat Network organizes and coordinates multiple free educational and networking opportunities for farmers, processors, food professionals, and buyers throughout the year. This includes tours, workshops, webinars, and 2 statewide network meetings per year. Events and activities are posted on this site and on the MI MEAT NET Google Group.
Contact us to let us know if your business is interested in partnering or hosting a future Michigan Meat Network event.
The network also connects with relevant research and resources from the MSU Livestock Work Group, MSU Extension, the Niche Meat Processors Assistance Network (NMPAN), and other state and national partners. For information, contact Jude Barry.