Michigan Good Food is a policy initiative centered on the Michigan Good Food Charter. The initiative aims to promote policy changes that will advance "good food" in Michigan.
Good Food Is:
Healthy - It provides nourishment and enables people to thrive
Green - It was produced in a manner that is environmentally sustainable
Fair - No one along the supply chain was exploited for its creation
Affordable - All people have access to it
Want to stay informed about the Michigan Good Food Charter? Sign up for our newsletter to receive communications.
The Vision and Goals of the Michigan Good Food Charter
We envision a thriving economy, equity, and sustainability for all of Michigan and its people through a food system rooted in local communities and centered on good food. By 2020, we believe we can meet or exceed the following goals.
1. Michigan institutions will source 20 percent of their food products from Michigan growers, producers and processors.
2. Michigan farmers will profitably supply 20 percent of all Michigan institutional, retailer and consumer food purchases and be able to pay fair wages to their workers.
3. Michigan will generate new agri-food businesses at a rate that enables 20 percent of food purchased in Michigan to come from Michigan.
4. Eighty percent of Michigan residents (twice the current level) will have easy access to affordable, fresh, healthy food, 20 percent of which is from Michigan sources.
5. Michigan Nutrition Standards will be met by 100 percent of school meals and 75 percent of schools selling food outside school meal programs.
6. Michigan schools will incorporate food and agriculture into the pre-K through 12th grade curriculum for all Michigan students and youth will have access to food and agriculture entrepreneurial opportunities.
In the News: Michigan Good Food Stories
Published on January 29, 2019 by Model D Media
Published on January 28, 2019 by Second Wave Michigan
Published on January 15, 2019 by Second Wave Michigan
Published on January 7, 2019 by Second Wave Michigan
Published on December 20, 2018 by Rapid Growth Media