To support employees who have demonstrated capacity to achieve educational and professional goals, have the motivation to achieve educational goals which support their careers with MSU Extension.
The K. J. Moilanen Memorial Scholarship Fund is administered by a committee of the Michigan Council of Extension Associates (MCEA). This committee has representation from each of the six member associations of MCEA (includes ESP, CNRDA, MAEA, MESSA, MAE4-HYS, MEAFCS) plus a Convener.
This award was originally limited to support degree work. It is now also open to support other professional development activities as well, with preference to applicants pursing degrees which will further and support their Extension careers.
An applicant must:
- Be currently employed at least 50% time as an Extension employee
- Have completed at least one year of continuous employment with MSU Extension.
- Not knowingly be in the last year of employment with MSU Extension.
- Have administrative approval granted prior to committee review thus assuring the relevant University and Extension policies are met (i.e., email with approval from supervisor provided to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Application review is completed by the professional fund allocation committee which includes representation from each member association, a convener, and no more than seven members.
- Awarded funds must be expended by award recipients within the fiscal year awarded (July 1 – June 30).
- Application deadline: June 1st. Awards will be made in the first week of July. This award is only made once a year.
- The size of award will be at discretion of the review committee depending upon the availability of funds, the number of applications, eligibility of applicants, and award criteria.
- Individual awards are expected to vary from $400 to $2,000.
- This fund shall be administered according to University policies and procedures governing endowments. Full financial accounting and including original receipts are required.