Professional Development (PD) Funding Sources
There are different eligibility requirements for different funding sources. Pay attention to notes on eligibility. A good starting point is to review the appropriate overview document below. Check with your supervisor if you are unsure which document applies to you.
- Academic Resources Overview (Extension Specialist and Educators)
- Non-academic Resources Overview (Extension CNIs, PCs, PIs)
- Support Staff Resources Overview (Other university positions such CT/APA/APSA)
Academic Employees seeking tuition assistance for relevant degree work may be eligible for the MSU Extension Tuition Assistance Program. View the below information for details and eligibility.
Educational Assistance and Supplemental Educational Assistance
(Non-academic and Support Staff Employees)
- Education Assistance is an MSU-supported benefit available to non-academic program staff to fund professional development AND tuition for appropriate degree work.
Supplemental Educational Assistance
- Supplemental Education Assistance is an MSU Extension benefit which provides additional funding for those already using Educational Assistance to support coursework towards a degree.
- Review the MSU Extension Administrative Handbook section on Supplemental Ed Assistance (p. 43)
- Request reimbursement using the Expense Form - Supplemental Education Assistance Program
Professional Development Endowment
This endowment exists to enhance professional development opportunities for Michigan State University Extension employees engaged in program implementation. This Fund is administered by a committee of the Michigan Council of Extension Associates (MCEA). This committee has representation from each of the member associations of MCEA (includes ESP, CNRDA, MAEA, MAE4-HYS, MEAFCS) plus a Convener. There are three application cycles a year, with deadlines on February 1, June 1, and September 1. Eligible applicants must be a member of an MCEA associations, and other eligibility requirements exist as well. View eligibility requirements and all other details.
This endowment exists to support employees who have demonstrated capacity to achieve educational and professional goals, have the motivation to achieve educational goals which support their careers with MSU Extension. This Fund is administered by a committee of the Michigan Council of Extension Associates (MCEA). This committee has representation from each of the member associations of MCEA (includes ESP, CNRDA, MAEA, MAE4-HYS, MEAFCS) plus a Convener.
This award was originally limited to support degree work. It is now also open to support other professional development activities as well, with preference to applicants pursing degrees which will further and support their Extension careers.
The annual deadline for this award is June 1. View eligibility requirements and all other details.