Coastal Communities Development
Grand Traverse County Extension Office
Great Lakes Fisheries Education and Management - Michigan Sea Grant, Coastal Communities Development
Mark works with coastal communities and businesses in northwest Michigan to apply science-based knowledge to address Great Lakes issues. Counties include: Emmet, Charlevoix, Antrim, Grand Traverse, Leelanau, Benzie and Manistee and statewide as needed.
- Great Lakes Levels / hydrology
- Sustainable coastal development
- Clean Marina Program
- Great Lakes Observing Systems
- Brownfield and coastal land redevelopment
- Coastal wetlands
- Computer applications
- B.S. Taylor University (Upland, Indiana), 1984
- M.S. Miami University (Oxford, Ohio), 1987
- Michigan Sea Grant Extension Educator for Southeast Michigan (1995-2003) and Northwest Michigan (2004 – current).
- Chair, Greater Detroit American Heritage River Initiative (1997-2003). Accomplishments include leveraging more than $13 million in projects, including diverse programs such as creating lake sturgeon spawning habitat, developing riverfront greenways, demonstrating soft engineering for shoreline treatment, and assisting in coastal brownfield redevelopment.
- Served with the International Joint Commission’s Great Lakes Regional Office in Windsor, Ontario, from 1992-95. Worked with local water resources advisory groups across both U.S. and Canadian Great Lakes coasts.
- Water resources specialist and environmental programs director for the Northwest Michigan Council of Governments in Traverse City, 1986-92.