For decorative purposes.

Meat and/or Poultry

March 6, 2024 - <>

Important Note

Connect with a Product Center Counselor

Key Information

Food products that contain 3% or more raw (or 2% or more cooked) meat and/or poultry must be processed and/or manufactured in a facility licensed and regulated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS). Before your facility can produce products under USDA FSIS jurisdiction, a grant of inspection must be obtained. The process of obtaining this grant of inspection includes several aspects, such as implementing sanitation performance standards, including Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures (SSOPs), and implementing Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) protocols.

The facility requirements, called the SPS regulations, are found within title 9 CFR parts 416.1 to 416.5 from the USDA. Additional guidance for understanding how to meet these regulatory requirements is provided by the USDA within the Sanitation Performance Standards Compliance Guide.

Regulatory Body and Contact Information

Helpful Links

Useful Articles

Important Note

All food and beverage products (even similar items) may have different regulations depending on what ingredients are used, the location or facility in which it is being produced, the packaging materials used, the distribution or shipping methods, as well as a variety of others. Licensing and regulation for food and beverage production in Michigan is administered by Local Health Departments, the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD), the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), local zoning regulations, and the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE). 

To guide you through the process of launching your food or beverage business, Michigan State University (MSU) Extension’s Product Center is an organization that brings together on-campus expertise in the sectors of food, agriculture, and natural resources to help entrepreneurs define and launch innovative products. Field-based innovation counselors advise entrepreneurs on a variety of services, including business planning, packaging and labeling rules, licensing and regulatory requirements, marketing, branding, distribution, product testing, and other product development needs.  

To access business development assistance from the MSU Product Center staff, select the “Become a Client” button on the MSU Product Center website. There is a $100 application fee to join, which grants clients access to unlimited counseling hours. We also ask that clients sign a confidentiality agreement to protect their information. 

If you have specific questions about how your product will be regulated, you may reach out to your Local Health Department or the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD). 


Accessibility Questions:

For questions about accessibility and/or if you need additional accommodations for a specific document, please send an email to ANR Communications & Marketing at