Animal Health and Wellbeing
- Antibiotics for Bovine Respiratory Disease Treatment
- AABP Veterinary-Client-Patient Relationship (VCPR) Guidelines - The veterinarian-client-patient relationship (VCPR) is an integral part of proper drug use on cattle operations. State and federal codifi ed VCPRs regulate the practice of veterinary medicine legislatively.
- AABP Practical Euthanasia of Cattle - Livestock caretakers have an obligation to ensure the welfare of animals under their care. Euthanasia of an animal that is suffering from irreversible disease or injury is a primary responsibility caretakers assume.
- The Michigan Johne’s Disease Control Demonstration Project - The objective of the project was to demonstrate and investigate management factors that are effective in controlling Johne’s Disease.
- Got Lice? - For most livestock owners, lice control is part of their health management protocol. However, with “routine” often comes a lack of understanding how best to mange lice, especially as new technologies evolve.
- Persistently Infected with BVDV? Now What? - Bovine viral diarrhea virus (BVDV) is the most important viral infection of cattle in the North America. Carriers of the virus, referred to as persistently infected (PI) with BVDV, are the major source of virus spread within and between farms. PI’s are infected for life and shed large amounts of virus in all of their secretions and excretions.
- Understand What Vaccine Label Claims Mean - Vaccines are an essential tool for aiding in the prevention and control of infectious diseases in cattle. There are well over 200 vaccines and vaccine combinations available for cattle producers. Selecting and using the right vaccines can be daunting, but is an essential part of any successful cattle operation.
- Best Management Practices for Fly Control - There are several management decisions that can be made that will greatly decrease fly populations in and around livestock facilities. Fly control should be viewed as a good neighbor policy and having a positive economic impact on your livestock operation.
- Bovine Leukemia Virus (BLV) - This website discusses the causes of Enzootic bovine leukosis, a contagious disease of cattle caused by a retrovirus named bovine leukemia virus (BLV).
- Proper Cleaning of Syringes - A YouTube video demonstrating the proper cleaning of syringes.
- US State and Territory Animal Import Regulations - APHIS plays a vital role in ensuring the free flow of agricultural trade by keeping U.S. agricultural industries free from pests and diseases and certifying that the millions of U.S. agricultural and food products shipped to markets abroad meet the importing countries’ entry requirements.
- BVDV Consult - designed to aid cattle producers and veterinarians in creating BVD control, prevention and eradication strategies that are specific to individual herds. From this site, you can access peer-reviewed research articles on BVD control.
- MSU‘s Animal Welfare and Behavior Group - Focuses its research on identifying and developing management practices and standards for improving the quality of life for animals and providing a scientific foundation for animal welfare standards.