Sports & Commercial Turf Management
The Sports and Commercial Turf Management certificate program is for students who have a high interest in sports and enjoy working outdoors. Students in this program will be learning at Michigan State University, a university with an international reputation in turfgrass research and education.
The program consists of both on-campus learning and hand-on experiences through a professional internship.
Areas of study include:
- Soil and landscape science
- Plant biology
- Turfgrass management
- Pest management
- Pesticide and fertilizer technology
- Performance turf design and construction
- Landscape management
Following graduation, students earn an MSU IAT certificate preparing them for the job market. If interested, students can also transfer into Michigan State University to earn a bachelor degree in crop and soil sciences or another related major.
Graduates find careers in sports and commercial turf grass industries and operations based on their interests.
Some career paths include:
- Professional baseball groundskeeper
- Football and soccer turf manager
- Turf specialists in lawn-care and landscape-maintenance companies
- Licensed irrigator
- Sod-production manager
- Sales and marketing professional
The Sports and Commercial Turf Management certificate program is based in East Lansing on the campus of Michigan State University.
- 54 credits
- 4 semesters of classroom instruction
- 1 semester off-campus internship (primarily during the summer from May to August)
Class sizes are small and students receive individualized instruction in addition to access to Big Ten facilities and experiences.
Some learning facilities include:
- Horticulture Teaching and Research Center
- Hancock Turfgrass Research Center
- Plant and Soil Sciences Building
- MSU Agronomy Farm
IAT coordinators help students find and secure organizations to mentor them as part of their required certificate program internship. Not only does this provide immediate on-the-job experience, but internships also help with networking and industry connections.
Some internship locations include:
- Michigan sports teams like the Detroit Lions, Detroit Tigers, Lansing Lugnuts and West Michigan Whitecaps
- Baseball teams like the Baltimore Orioles, Boston Red Sox, Los Angeles Dodgers and Texas Rangers
- Football teams like the Baltimore Ravens and Green Bay Packers
For more information or to schedule a visit, contact the Sports and Commercial Turf Management program coordinator.