Michigan 4-H provides a venue for career exploration
Michigan State University Extension encourages career exploration through 4-H involvement.
Michigan 4-H members coose projects and other 4-H youth development experiences every day. Whatever your aspirations, 4-H provides a venue for career exploration.
Whether 4-H’ers are learning to start a business, bake a cake, be a club officer or plan their next community service event, career exploration can be a part of all of these experiences. Consider these questions to help identify jobs or careers related to the experience 4-H projects, events and programs create.
- Does this project or program fit with a hobby or interest that I have?
- As a 4-H club officer, what skills am I learning?
- What skills am I learning from this project, program or volunteer role?
- What careers and jobs are related to this project, program or volunteer role?
- If I take on a new volunteer role, what job skills or careers can I learn about through that opportunity?
Once you have identified jobs or careers to learn more about from the above questions, network with volunteer leaders, fellow 4-H families and the community to learn more about future opportunities. For “X” career or job:
- What is involved in pursuing this career or job?
- What is the salary range for this career or job?
- What types of job options are there in career field “X”?
- Where are the employment opportunities for “X”?
- What education is necessary to become “X”?
- What post-secondary education or training is required for “X” career?
- Where can I find out more about “X” careers?
And by all means, connect what you have learned back to Michigan’s six career pathways:
- Arts and communication
- Business, management, marketing and technology
- Engineering/manufacturing and industrial technology
- Health science
- Human services
- Natural resources and agriscience
- 4-H Capitol Experience
- 4-H Exploration Days
- 4-H Great Lakes and Natural Resources Camp
- 4-H Renewable Energy Camp
- 4-H Animal and Veterinary Science Camp
Michigan 4-H can help you become more aware of your community and the work world while interacting with diverse people, cultures and interests. As a Michigan 4-H member or volunteer, think about how you can apply more career exploration activities to your 4-H experience starting now.
For more information or resources on career exploration, workforce preparation, financial education or entrepreneurship, contact 4-HCareerPrep@anr.msu.edu.
Did you find this article useful?