Excellence in Teaching Awards
The College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (CANR) offers two Excellence in Teaching Awards meant to recognize individuals who have demonstrated a commitment to quality scholarship of teaching as evidenced by their contributions to teaching and learning and demonstrated success in these areas.
Ideal candidates for the CANR Excellence in Teaching Awards will have/provide:
- Established Teacher Award: 5 or more years (preference to those with > 5 years at MSU) teaching experience (not including graduate teaching) at one of the following ranks: tenure system (non-emeriti) faculty, fixed-term faculty, academic specialists and instructors.
- New Teacher Award: Less than 5 years teaching experience (not including graduate teaching) at one of the following ranks: tenure system (non-emeriti) faculty, fixed-term faculty, academic specialists and instructors.
- Evidence of dedication to instruction/advising through experimentation and implementation of innovative techniques that contribute to the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Evidence of excellence in instruction as demonstrated impact on students’ careers.
- Evidence of excellence in instruction as demonstrated impact on colleagues’ teaching and advising practices.
Individuals nominated for these awards must be CANR faculty, academic specialists or instructors who are teaching during the fall, spring or summer semesters of the current academic year.
Faculty, staff and students are encouraged to submit nominations. Students should contact their department or school awards committee for assistance in preparing a nomination. Please note that students must work with nominees in the preparation of the application package. Self-nominations are also accepted.
In its review and examination of application packages, the review committee is seeking to identify candidates that go above and beyond the call for duty in teaching or advising. Being an excellent teacher or advisor is necessary, but not sufficient for winning the award. The prospective winner of the award will be the one that clearly demonstrates scholarship in teaching with respect for the subject matter they are teaching or advising, respect for students and colleagues, and respect for pedagogy and advisorship itself.
To verify that a nominee meets the spirit of the award, we look for:
- Demonstrable evidence of dedication to instruction/advising through experimentation and successful implementation of innovative techniques and contribution to the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Evidence of excellence in instruction/advising as demonstrated by the impact on students' careers and colleagues' teaching/advising practices.
Award recipients will be recognized each Spring. Established and New Teacher Award recipients may only receive each award once.
The nomination form is advertised in the fall. We encourage all members of the community, whatever your role-faculty, staff, student, alumni-to join in recognizing exceptional instruction here at the College and around the State through MSU Extension.
Application Package Completion Process
Following nomination, the CANR Awards Team will verify the nominees’ eligibility for consideration. If they meet eligibility criteria, we will notify the nominee and invite them to complete an application package.
Required application materials include:
- CANR Excellence in Teaching Award Checklist
- Excellence in Teaching Award Data Form
- Teaching Philosophy Statement. No more than three (3) single-spaced pages
- Excellence in Teaching Award Data Spreadsheet
Completed documents will be submitted electronically by nominees.
Please contact the CANR Awards Team at ANR.TeachingAwards@msu.edu with questions.
- Jun Hyun Kim - Established (SPDC, 2023)
- Jacquelyn Jacobs - New (ANS, 2023)
- Linda Nubani - New (SPDC, 2022)
- Dan McCole - Established (CSUS, 2022)
- Tasia M. Kendrick - New (ANS, 2021)
- Erin A. Dreelin - Established (FW, 2021)
- Deanne Kelleher - New (FHSN, 2020)
- Michael Everett - Established (CSUS, 2020)
- Aaron McKim - New (CSUS, 2019)
- Brent Ross - Established (AFRE, 2019)
- Jade Mitchell - New (BAE, 2017)
- Matt Raven - Established (CSUS, 2017)
- Lorraine Weatherspoon - Established (FSHN, 2016)
- Robert Montgomery - New (FW, 2015)
- Henry Campa III - Established (FW, 2015)
- Christopher Saffron - Established (BAE, 2014)
- Janice Siegford - Established (ANS, 2013)
- Jason Knott - New (ANS, 2012)
- Bridget Behe - Established (HRT, 2012)
- Liz Marcher - New (ANS, 2011)
- Mary Bremigan - Established (FW, 2011)
- Rafael Auras - New (PKG, 2010)
- Pat Crawford - Established (SPDC, 2010)
- Brad Rowe - Established (HRT, 2009)
- Karen Renner - New (CSS/PSM, 2008)
- Shawn Riley - Established (FW, 2008)
- Laura Bix - New (PKG, 2007)
- Kelly Millenbah - Established (FW, 2007)
- Larry Zink - New (AFRE, 2006)
- Taylor Johnston - Established (CSS/PSM, 2006)