Published on July 1, 2022
Learn strategies to source more locally produced foods in your business.
Published on April 8, 2022
The seventh edition of this directory provides an overview of various financing sources available to food-related businesses in Michigan and across the United States.
Published on March 8, 2021
Loans are an important tool for growing any business and if approached with the right groundwork, can be a beneficial part of your farm business development.
Published on April 10, 2020
Learn about selling through CSAs, farmers markets, and retail grocery. These webinars provide food and farm businesses with insight into industry adjustments to novel coronavirus and considerations for selling through that venue.
Published on November 5, 2018
This report explores self-sustaining entrepreneurial fundraising strategies and activities and offers a creative pathway for evaluating strategies to fund Michigan's beginning farmer initiatives.
Published on January 29, 2018
This part of the Toolbox for Vegetable Farm Viability provides a look at sales volumes, pricing and outlets you might need to reach $100,000 in sales.
Published on January 29, 2018
This part of the Toolbox for Vegetable Farm Viability provides a detailed look at potential infrastructure and equipment investments for different size small farms to help in planning and growth.
Published on November 3, 2017
This guide is meant to provide a road map to loan readiness and conventional and alternative credit access for beginning farmers. Access to financial capital is one of the largest obstacles for beginning farmers.
Published on October 30, 2017
At some point, most farmers need to make some changes and grow to sustain their business. Based on his lending work with hundreds of Michigan farmers, Mike Jordon developed the 10 steps contained in this guide to aid the growth of farming operations.
Published on October 2, 2017
Crowdfunding is becoming more popular for small and beginning farmers. This guide aims to address how small and beginning farmers can use crowdfunding as a fundraising tool.
Explore more business resources:
- MSU Food Processing and Innovation Center
- MSU Product Center
- Michigan Good Food Fund
- Google Earth Interactive Map of Michigan Beginning Farmer Programs and Resources
- Developed by Katie Brandt, MSU Student Organic Farm. Must be opened with Google Chrome or an active Google/Gmail account.
- Michigan Food and Agriculture: Strategic Employment Planning from the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development
- TelFarm from MSU Extension Farm Management
- Contractor Directory - Construction Allies in Action
- Are you a food-based business working on a construction project? If you are interested in hiring a contractor of color, you can utilize this director of MI contractors and reach out to the organization for further assistance in finding the right contractor for your business.