The email signature block (see Figure 1) is designed to convey a professional image that is consistent with the MSU Extension brand. Preferred font is Arial with a font size of 9 or 10. Employees may add the MSU Extension wordmark and (when applicable) the 4-H clover, but it’s not recommended for two reasons. Email messages with graphics:
- Are more likely to be routed into recipients’ junk mail folders by commercial internet service providers.
- Increase the recipients’ data usage. This can be a particular problem for recipients whose only internet access is through a mobile device, because the increased usage may in turn increase their monthly bills.
Important note: All email signatures must contain the MSU Extension anti-discrimination statement and must not include superfluous content such as quotes, photos, or background graphics.
To set up or edit an email signature in Outlook:
1. Click on the “New Email” button.
2. Click on the “Signature” button, then click on “Signatures . . .” at the bottom of the dropdown menu that appears.
3. Check the popup window to make sure the “E-mail Signature” tab is active. Then follow the prompts.
If you need help, contact the ANR Tech Services Help Desk by phone at 517-355-3776 or by email at email@example.com.
The signature block on second and subsequent email replies can be condensed to help shorten the overall length of an email conversation. (see Figure 2).