Legacy of the Land
December 4, 2020 - Author: Stan Moore
Could your farm benefit from some additional supports?
Through the MDARD/FRSAN Legacy of the Land grants, MSU Extension can help support you and your farm to help you stay or get back on a successful track.
- Farm Financial Analysis: Through these grants we are able to provide a limited number of subsidized enrollments in the Michigan State University’s TelFarm program. The TelFarm program provides accounting and financial analysis support to farmers across the state of Michigan. We help take your farm records to the next level. This program provides assistance in bookkeeping in both PCMars and QuickBooks, as well as farm financial analysis and yearly check-in service including tax planning strategies.
- Teletherapy: Michigan State University Extension has partnered with Pine Rest Mental Health Services to better support farmers experiencing stress and mental health issues. Through this teletherapy pilot program, farmers are connected to online counseling services with therapists who have an understanding of the agricultural community and farming. Financial assistance is available on a first-come-first-served basis for those without insurance coverage. For more information click the teletherapy link or visit the farm stress website.
- Business Management Strategies: MSU Extension’s team of Farm Business Management educators perform yearly farm financial analysis and check-ins, and they also work with farms to better understand their business and in analyzing business management strategies.
- Farm Stress Resources: Taking care of crops and animals is hard on farmers and agribusiness professionals. Caring for your own health and wellness in this high-stress profession is often overlooked but is just as critical as caring for your farm business. For more information on available resources, upcoming trainings, and opportunities to connect, visit the farm stress website.
- Mental Health First Aid: Mental Health First Aid is evidence-based training that teaches participants how to recognize the signs and symptoms of a mental health crisis and help someone who may be experiencing one. Grounded in messages of hope and recovery, this program helps break down the misinformation surrounding mental health and helps trainees understand how they can play a role in the “first response” to mental health issues.