Michigan Fresh: Using, Storing, and Preserving Kohlrabi (HNI45)DOWNLOAD FILE
January 14, 2015 - Author: Joyce McGarry
- White – Vienna, Express Forcer, Grand Duke, Kolpak, Triumph
- Purple – Blaro, Early Purple Vienna, Rapid
Storage and food safety
- Wash thoroughly and store with leaf stems removed. Kohlrabi can be stored in the refrigerator for several weeks. Storage life can be extended if placed in sealed perforated plastic bags.
- To prevent cross contamination keep kohlrabi away from raw meat and meat juices.
- Wash hands before handling fresh produce.
- For best quality and nutritional value do not preserve more than your family can consume in 12 months.
|4 medium bulbs||3 1/2 cups cubed, cooked|
|2 pounds||3 1/2 cups cubed, cooked|
How to Preserve
Canning is not recommended for Kohlrabi.
- Select stems when fully grown but tender. Cut off tops and roots. Wash and peel off the tough outer layer. Leave whole or dice in ½ in cubes.
- Water Blanch whole 3 minutes and cubes 1 minute. Cool promptly, drain and package, leaving ½ inch headspace. Seal and freeze.
- Water blanching: Use one gallon of water per pound of prepared vegetables. Put vegetables in blanching basket or colander and lower into boiling water. Place lid on blancher. Return water to boil and start counting blanching time as soon as water returns to a boil.
- The USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning, 2009 Revision. Agriculture Information Bulletin No. 539.
- Andress, Elizabeth and Judy A. Harrison. So Easy to Preserve. Bulletin 989, 6th edition. Cooperative Extension University of Georgia, 2014.
Prepared by: Joyce McGarry, MSU Extension educator