PhD, Nutrition Science, Concentration-Ingestive Behavior, Purdue University, 2014
MS, Nutritional Science, California State University, Los Angeles, 2005
BA, Political Science, Creighton University
2016-present - Assistant Professor of Food Science & Human Nutrition, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
2014-2016 - Assistant Professor of Public and Allied Health & Food and Nutrition, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio
HNF 471 - Medical Nutrition Therapy I
HNF 832 - Advanced Clinical Nutrition
Dr. Tucker studies the effects of insufficient and poor-quality sleep on nutrition-related health outcomes, sensory perception, and eating behaviors.
Dr. Tucker is interested in testing the effects of behavior-based sleep education on sleep outcomes in diverse groups. Dr. Tucker and MSU Extension developed the SLeep Education for Everyone Program (SLEEP) which is offered by MSU Extension.
- Senior-authored paper (Ellithorpe et al., J Sleep Res, 2022) selected by publisher to be featured in Wiley’s Research Headlines, a mailing sent to reporters featuring the most newsworthy research, 2022
- Teacher-Scholar Award, Michigan State University Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, 2020
- Undergraduate Research Mentor of the Year nominee, Michigan State University, 2020
- You Belong Here Champion nominee, Michigan State University College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, 2020
- Outstanding Dietetic Educator nominee, Michigan Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2020
- Teacher-Scholar Award nominee, Michigan State University (university-wide), 2019, 2020
- Fellow of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (FAND), 2018
^indicates student co-author
- Tan S-Y, Hack C, Yu C, Rennick I, Ohanian J, Dezan M, Mott N, Manibo R, Tucker RM. In press. Alterations in sweet taste function in adults with diabetes mellitus: A systematic review and potential implications. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 2020 Impact Factor: 11.18.
- ^Du C, Hsiao PY, Ludy MJ, Tucker RM. 2022. Relationships between dairy and calcium intake and mental health measures of higher education students in the United States: Outcomes from moderation analyses. Nutrients. DOI: 10.3390/nu14040775 2020 Impact Factor: 5.72.
- Ellithorpe M, Ulusoy E, Eden A, Hahn L, ^Yang C-L, Tucker RM. In press. The complicated impact of media use before bed on sleep: Results from a combination of objective EEG sleep measurement and media diaries. Journal of Sleep Research. 2020-2021 Impact Factor: 3.98.
- Adjepong M, Amoah-Agyei F, Du C, Wang W, Fenton JI, Tucker RM. In press. Limited negative effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on mental health measures of Ghanaian university students. Journal of Affective Disorders Reports. 2020 Impact Factor: new journal.
- ^Du C, Tucker RM, Yang C-L. In press. How are you sleeping? Why nutrition professionals should ask their patients about sleep habits. Journal of the American Nutrition Association. 2020 Impact Factor: 3.18.
- ^Du C, ^Almotwa J, ^Folk SYL, ^Gadd S, ^Parag H, Tucker RM. In press. Effects of Macronutrient Intake on Sleep Duration and Quality: A Systematic Review. Nutrition & Dietetics. 2020 Impact Factor: 2.33.
- Tucker RM, Contreras DA, Carlson BR, Carter A, Drake CL. 2021. Sleep Education for Elders Program: Pilot Results of a Health Educator-Led, Community-Delivered Sleep Behavior Change Intervention. Nature and Science of Sleep. 13: 625-633. DOI: 10.2147/NSS.S304035. 2020 Impact Factor: 5.35.
- ^Du C, ^Wang W, Hsiao PY, Ludy M-J, Tucker RM. 2021. Insufficient sleep and poor sleep quality completely mediate the relationship between financial stress and dietary risk among higher education students who report sleep problems. Behavioral Sciences. 11(69). 2020 Cite Score: 3.4.
- ^Du C, Zan MCH, Cho MJ, Fenton JI, Hsiao PY…Tucker RM. 2021. The effects of sleep quality and resilience on perceived stress, dietary behaviors, and alcohol misuse: A mediation-moderation analysis of higher education students from 7 countries during the COVID-19 pandemic. Nutrients. 13(2): 442. 2020 Impact Factor: 5.72.
- Tan S-Y, Sotirelis E, Bojeh R, Maan I, Medalle M, Chik F X-S, Keast R, Tucker RM. 2021. Is dietary intake associated with salt taste function and perception in adults? A systematic review. Food Quality and Preference. 92. DOI: 10.1016/j.foodqual.2021.104174. 2020 Impact Factor: 5.57.
- ^Du C, ^Luo N, ^Wu L, ^Gadd S, ^Zhang X, Tucker RM. 2021. Health behavior changes associated with weight gain among first-year international students studying at an American university. Journal of American College Health. DOI:10.1080/07448481.2021.1891082. 2020 Impact Factor: 3.09.
- Hawley SR, Thrivikraman JK, Noveck N, St. Romain T, Ludy M-J, Chee W, Cho MJ, Chong M, Du C, Fenton JI, Hsiao PY, Hsiao R, Keaver L, Lai C-C, Lee H, Shen W, Swee WCS, Tseng K-W, Tseng W-C, Zan MCH, Tucker RM. 2021. Concerns of college students during the COVID-19 pandemic: Thematic perspectives from the United States, Asia, and Europe. Journal of Applied Learning and Teaching. 4(1). Impact Factor: not available
- ^Du C, Zan MCH, Cho MJ, Fenton JI, Hsiao PY…Tucker RM. 2021. Health behaviors of higher education students from 7 countries: Poorer sleep quality during the COVID-19 pandemic predicts higher dietary risk. Clocks & Sleep. 3(1):12-30. 2020 Impact Factor: not yet established
- ^Yang C-L & Tucker RM. 2021. Beneficial effects of a high protein breakfast on fullness disappear after a night of short sleep in nonobese, premenopausal women. Physiology & Behavior. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2020.113269 2020 Impact Factor: 3.24.
- Kiss N, Symons K, Hewitt J, Davis H, Ting C, Lee A, Boltong A, Tucker RM, Tan S-Y. 2021. Taste function in adults undergoing cancer radiotherapy or chemotherapy, and implications for nutrition management: A systematic review. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 121(2):278-304. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2020.08.014 2020 Impact Factor: 4.91.
- ^Du C, Zan MCH, Cho MJ, Fenton JI, Hsiao PY…Tucker RM. 2020. Increased resilience weakens the relationship between perceived stress and anxiety on sleep quality: A moderated mediation analysis of higher education students from 7 countries. Clocks & Sleep. 2(3):334-353. https://doi.org/10.3390/clockssleep2030025. 2020 Impact Factor: not yet established
- ^Haddad EN, ^Sugino KY, Tucker RM, Comstock SS. 2020. Gut enterotypes are stable during probiotic supplementation. Journal of Food Science. 85:1596-1604. 2020 Impact Factor: 3.17.
- Burcham Z, Garneau NL, Comstock SS, Tucker RM, Knight R, Metcalf J. 2020. Patterns of Oral Microbiota Diversity in Adults and Children: A Crowdsourced Population Study. Scientific Reports. doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-59016-0. 2020: Impact Factor: 4.38.
- ^Szczygiel E, Cho S, Tucker RM. 2019. The effect of sleep curtailment on hedonic responses to liquid and solid food. Foods. 2017 8(10), 465. https://doi.org/10.3390/foods8100465. 2019: Impact Factor: 4.09.
- ^Szczygiel E, Cho S, Tucker RM. 2019. Multiple dimensions of sweet taste perception altered after sleep curtailment. Nutrients. 11:9. doi: 10.3390/nu11092015. 2019 Impact Factor: 4.55.
- Ellithorpe ME, Eden A, ^Hahn L, ^Ulsoy E, ^Yang CL, Tucker RM. 2019. Meal-concurrent media use is associated with increased dietary intake with no evidence of next meal compensation in free-living adults. Obesity. 27:1418-1422. doi:10.1002/oby.22577. 2019 Impact Factor: 3.74.
- ^Szczygiel E, Cho S, Tucker RM. 2019. Associations between chemosensory function, sweet taste preference, and the previous night’s sleep in non-obese males. Food Quality and Preference. 75:105-112. 2019 Impact Factor: 4.84.
- ^Yang C-L, Schnepp J, Tucker RM. 2019. Increased hunger, food cravings, food reward, and portion size selection after a night of modest sleep curtailment in women without obesity. Nutrients. 11:3. doi:10.3990/nu11030663. 2019 Impact Factor: 4.55.
- Tan S-Y and Tucker RM. 2019. Sweet taste as a predictor of dietary intake: A systematic review. Nutrients. 11: 94. doi:10.3390/nu11010094. 2019 Impact Factor: 4.55.
- Ludy MJ, Tan S-Y, ^Leone RJ, Morgan AL, Tucker RM. 2018. Weight gain in first-semester university students: Positive diet and sleep practices associated with protective effects. Physiology and Behavior. 194:132-136. 2018 Impact Factor: 2.72.
- Ludy MJ, ^Crum AP, ^Young CA, Morgan AL, Tucker RM. 2018. First-year university students who self-select into health studies have more desirable health measures and behaviors at baseline but experience similar changes compared to non-self selected students. Nutrients. 10: 362. doi: 10.3390/nu10030362. 2018 Impact Factor: 4.17.
- ^Szczygiel E, Cho S, Tucker RM. 2018. Characterization of the relationships between sleep duration, quality, architecture and chemosensory function in non-obese females. Chemical Senses. 43: 223-228. doi: 10.1093/chemse/bjy012/4924573. 2018 Impact Factor: 2.52.
- Garneau NL, Nuessle TM, Mendelsberg B, Shepard S, Tucker RM. 2018. Sweet liker status in children and adults: Consequences for beverage intake in adults. Food Quality and Preference. 65: 175-180. doi: 10.1016/j.foodqual.2017.10.005. 2018 Impact Factor: 3.68.
- Tucker RM and Tan S-Y. 2017. Do non-nutritive sweeteners influence acute glucose homeostasis in humans? A systematic review. Physiology & Behavior 182: 17-26. 2017 Impact Factor: 2.52.
Mattes RD, Tan S-Y, Tucker RM. Sweeteners: Sensory properties, digestion, consumption trends, and health effects. In: Caballero B, editor. Encyclopedia of Health, 4th edition. Elsevier. In press.
^Yang C-L and Tucker RM. 2020. The effects of short sleep duration and deprivation on chemosensory function: Implications for dietary intake. In: Watson R. & Preedy V., editors. Neurological modulations of sleep: Mechanisms and function in sleep health. Academic Press. ISBN: 978-0128166581
Published on May 18, 2021
Published on January 27, 2020
Published on October 30, 2018