Current Graduate Students

MSU and the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (CANR) offer a variety of resources for graduate students. Typically, your faculty advisor or the graduate director for your program can help you resolve academic concerns. The graduate secretary in your department is often a good resource for questions about enrollment, assistantships and payroll.

The CANR works to facilitate opportunities for all of our graduate students, and is proactive about creating an inclusive and equitable environment for graduate education. To see some of the ways in which CANR works toward equity in our graduate programs, visit Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion for more resources.

Important Dates


Mid-January – UDF and UEF nominations due to College (see communication from College)

February 1 - AAGA Applications due. Instruction Sheet

February 25 – Deadline for applications for Dissertation Completion Fellowship for Summer Semester 2019. DCF Memo | DCF Data Sheet | Instruction Sheet

March 31 – Assistantship letter due for graduate students being employed as TAs for summer semester

April 15 - Assistantship letter (or non-renewal notice) due for graduate student being employed as RAs or TEs for summer and fall semesters.

April 22 – Assistantship letter (or non-renewal notice) due for graduate student being employed as TAs for fall and spring (if appropriate) semesters.

May 8, 2019 - Deadline for graduate degree candidates to turn in theses/dissertations to The Graduate School for Spring 2019 commencement

Student Reports and Forms

Events, Programs and Student Groups

Career Preparation

Funding Resources

Resources and Links

Travel and Research Enhancement Instructions

Which program to apply to?  

  • If you are presenting your research at a professional conference, please apply for Travel funding.  Limit of $400 approved during period of graduate program.
  • If you need financial assistance with your research experience, such as attending a workshop for learning new techniques or ideas, data collection, short courses or laboratory rotations, please apply for Research Enhancement funding. Limit of one request during period of graduate program. Typically $500-1000 provided.


  1. Fully complete the appropriate form and attach the required additional information.
  2. Get the necessary signatures (major professor, department chair, school director) within the department or school.
  3. Send form to the Office of Academics and Student Affairs (OASA) through campus mail, email a PDF to or drop off at 121 Ag Hall.
  4. OASA staff will evaluate the request, provide the Associate Dean's approval, allocate CANR funding (if available), and send the form on to the Graduate School for review.
  5. OASA and the Graduate School will inform the department of the approved funding.
Michigan State University Michigan State University Close Menu button Menu and Search button Open Close