Michigan Christmas Tree Industry Research Priorities
- Plantation management
- Managing cone formation in Fraser fir (e.g., PGR’s or herbicides to reduce the cost of picking cones).
- Improving seedling/transplant establishment
- Improving nutrient management in plantations and nursery
- Improved genetics for Michigan (seed orchard development, new tree selection)
- Integrated pest management
- Emerging pest issues – Hemlock and balsam woolly adelgid, spotted lanternfly, midges, etc.
- Evaluate new pesticides (insecticides, fungicides, herbicides) for use in Christmas tree production
- Non-chemical weed control (e.g., mulches, over crops)
- Herbicide resistance issues – Stinger, Velpar and Round-up
- Organic options
- Farm management
- Understanding costs production
- Consumer preferences and marketing
Updated June 2023