- The capital and main city is Nairobi. Mombasa is the second largest city.
- The official language is Kiswahili
- Area: 224,081 sq mi (approx. 2x the size of the State of Michigan)
- Population approx. 49 million in 2017
- Climate: Kenya's climate varies from tropical along the coast to temperate inland to arid in the north and northeast parts of the country
Fun Fact: Kenya shares Lake Victoria, the world’s second largest fresh water lake behind Lake Superior, with Uganda and Tanzania
Main Research Themes
- Agrifood System Transformation
- Climate Change
- Input Use and Market Development
- Policy Research and Capacity Building
- Training and Capacity Building
- Value Chain Analysis
- Youth Employment and Entrepreneurship
Publications and Presentations
Published on December 20, 2022
SARA-KEA Policy Note #2. An approach to Kenya's agricultural changes and the political economy implications using a comparative value chains approach.
Assessment of the Policy Enabling Environment for Large-Scale Food Fortification (LSFF) —With an Application to Kenya—
Published on December 5, 2022
PRCI Research Paper #13. Assessment of the policy enabling environment for large-scale food fortification using a novel framework.
Policy options for supporting household food security and resilience in the context of high food, fertilizer, and fuel prices in Kenya
Published on October 31, 2022
SARA-KEA Policy Note #1. Presents policy options for supporting household food security and resilience to high food, fertilizer, and fuel prices in Kenya due to the Ukraine war.
Published on July 1, 2022
Policy Brief #6. This research aimed to monitor and analyze the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic and associated containment measures on rural and urban livelihoods in Kenya, to help guide resource allocation and inform policy actions for future crises.
Les impacts économiques du COVID-19 en Afrique urbaine et rurale: Des résultats inattendus dans cinq pays
Published on September 24, 2021
Les résultats sont présentés suivant deux aspects : 1) les impacts sur le revenu et la pauvreté et 2) les impacts sur la consommation alimentaire et la sécurité alimentaire.