- The capital and largest city is Kigali.
- The official languages are Kinyarwanda, English, French and Swahili
- Area: 10,169 sq mi (approx. 1/10 the size of the State of Michigan)
- Population approx. 11 million in 2015
- Climate: Rwanda has a temperate tropical highland climate, with lower temperatures than are typical for equatorial countries due to its high elevation.
Fun fact: Rwanda is only one of three countries in Africa where you can visit Mountain Gorillas in the Wild.
Main Research Themes
- Impact Assessment
- Input Use and Market Development
- Policy Research and Capacity Building
- Sustainable Agricultural Intensification
- Training and Capacity Building
- Value Chain Analysis
- Youth Employment and Entrepreneurship
Publications and Presentations
Published on April 1, 2021
Farris, J., Porter, M., Jin, S., & Maredia, M. (2021). Growing Pains: Timing of In Utero Rainfall Shocks and Child Growth in Rural Rwanda. Economic Development and Cultural Change.
Published on August 5, 2019
Ortega, David L., Bro, Aniseh S., Clay, Daniel C., et al. 2019. Cooperative membership and coffee productivity in Rwanda's specialty coffee sector
Published on October 16, 2018
Andrew Gerard, Daniel C. Clay, Maria Claudia Lopez, Kathryn Bowman, and Daniel Rukazambuga, 2018. Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy Research Paper 116. East Lansing: Michigan State University
Published on September 7, 2018
Ruth Ann Church, 2018. Understanding and Improving the Price-Quality Relationship in Rwanda's Coffee Sector, Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy Research Paper 111. East Lansing: Michigan State University
Published on June 22, 2018
Daniel C. Clay and Alfred Bizoza, 2018. The Challenge to Sustainable Growth in Rwanda’s Coffee Sector. Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy Research Paper 100. East Lansing: Michigan State University.