- The capital and main city is Lilongwe.
- The official language is English
- Area: 45,747 sq mi (approx. 1/2 the size of the State of Michigan)
- Population approx. 18 million in 2016
- Climate: Malawi has a sub-tropical climate, which is relatively dry and seasonal
Fun Fact: Malawi is home to the third largest lake in Africa, Lake Malawi. It is known to be a "hot spot of biodiversity," with its deep clear waters and varied habitats containing the largest number of fish species of any lake in the world.
Main Research Themes
- Input Use and Market Development
- Policy Research and Capacity Building
- Sustainable Agricultural Intensification
- Training and Capacity Building
- Value Chain Analysis
- Youth Employment and Entrepreneurship
Published on January 19, 2021
Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics (AFRE) faculty, Dr. Thomas Jayne and Dr. Milu Muyanga have led the development of a new policy research institute.
Published on October 3, 2019
University Foundation Professor of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics (AFRE), Thomas Jayne, recently spoke to African policymakers at the African Green Revolution Forum in Ghana.
Published on October 19, 2018
NAPAS: Malawi supports the rice subsidy program reform.
Published on October 18, 2018
NAPAS: Malawi participated in four events to disseminate policy briefs and research findings.
NAPAS: Malawi Value Chain Studies Inform Selection of Value Chains to Be Developed under the World Bank Agricultural Commercialization Project
Published on October 3, 2018
At the request of the Ministry of Agriculture, NAPAS: Malawi conducted several value chain studies to guide further agricultural investments.
Publications and Presentations
Published on November 12, 2020
Mangani, R., Jayne, T.S., Hazell, P., Muyanga, M., Chimatiro, S., Burke, W.J., Johnson, M. (2020). Agricultural Transformation in Malawi: Call to Action, Research Paper 1, MwAPATA Institute.
Published on May 28, 2019
Quarterly Report and Fiscal Year 2018 Report: July 2018- October 2018 and September 2017- October 2018
Published on May 27, 2019
Published on May 26, 2019
Published on May 25, 2019