- The capital is Abuja.
- The official language is English
- Area: 356,669 sq mi (approx. 4x the size of the State of Michigan)
- Population approx. 186 million in 2016
- Climate: Nigeria has a tropical hot climate with temperatures varying according to the seasons of the year. The two major seasons are determined by rainfall with a rainy season and dry season.
Fun fact: Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa
Main Research Themes
- Agrifood System Transformation
- Climate Change
- Input Use and Market Development
- Policy Research and Capacity Building
- Sustainable Agricultural Intensification
- Training and Capacity Building
- Value Chain Analysis
- Youth Employment/Entrepreneurship
Published on August 3, 2023
Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy, Research, Capacity, and Influence applauds PiLAF for pioneering agricultural policy influence in Nigeria
Published on November 8, 2022
After the long COVID-19 lockdown, STAAARS+ fellows visit mentors and build connections at Cornell, D.C., and MSU
Published on September 28, 2022
Visiting scholars from Tanzania and Nigeria settled in East Lansing to work with Food Security Group faculty
Published on August 24, 2022
PRCI STAAARS+ fellows from the Innovation lab for Policy Leadership in Agriculture and Food Security presented finding on COVID-19 resilience
Published on July 26, 2022
As part of the Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy, Research, Capacity, and Influence (PRCI), four STAAARS+ teams gave lightening talks on their research topics
Publications and Presentations
Feed the Future Nigeria Agriculture Policy Activity Capacity Strengthening Program on Soil Productivity Linked to Extension: My Testimony
Published on August 15, 2023
NAPA Highlight #21. A testimonial from a participant in the soil productivity training program in Benue State, Nigeria through NAPA.
Published on August 1, 2023
NAPA Research Paper #7. Soil management, fertilizer types and associated practices for maize in Benue State.
Market Channel and Heterogeneous Storage Behavior in Response to Multiple Risks: The Case of Nigerian Maize Traders
Published on July 17, 2023
NAPA Policy Research Brief #3. Market Channel and Heterogeneous Storage Behavior in Response to Multiple Risks: The Case of Nigerian Maize Traders
Published on May 22, 2023
Rapid Reconnaissance of the Fish Value Chain in Nigeria by the RSM2SNF project.
Published on May 22, 2023
Rapid Reconnaissance Report on of the Value Chains for Tomato and Green Leafy Vegetables in Nigeria by the RSM2SNF project