- The capital and main city is Bamako.
- The official language is French
- Area: 478,841 sq mi (approx. 4x the size of the State of Michigan)
- Population approx. 15 million in 2009
- Climate: Northern Sahara zone in Mali experiences hot and dry climate whereas the climate of Mali in the subtropical southern part is hot and humid
Fun Fact: The prime meridian marker is located in Gao, Mali, where one can literally stand on the edge of two hemispheres.
MSU and Partners achievements in Mali
Brochure in English
Les réalisations de MSU et ses partenaires au Mali
Pamphlet en français
Main Research Themes
- Agrifood System Transformation
- Input Use and Market Development
- Policy Research and Capacity Building
- Sustainable Agricultural Intensification
- Training and Capacity Building
- Value Chain Analysis
There are no documents to show at this time.
Publications and Presentations
Published on May 1, 2018
Ryan Vroegindewey, Veronique Theriault, John Staatz, (2018) "Coordinating cereal farmers and buyers: evidence from Mali," Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies, Vol. 8 Issue: 2, pp.234-255
Retailing of Processed Dairy and Grain Products in Mali: Evidence from a City Retail Outlet Inventory
Published on March 9, 2018
Theriault, V., Vroegindewey, R, Assima, A., and Keita, N. 2018. Retailing of Processed Dairy and Grain Products in Mali: Evidence from a City Retail Outlet Inventory. Urban Science, 2(24)
REPONSE DU RENDEMENT DES CEREALES SECHES DU MALI AUX ENGRAIS: UN ECLAIRAGE A PARTIR DES DONNEES D’ENQUETE AUPRES DES MENAGES
Published on February 28, 2018
Haider, Smale, Thériault, 2018. REPONSE DU RENDEMENT DES CEREALES SECHES DU MALI AUX ENGRAIS: UN ECLAIRAGE A PARTIR DES DONNEES D’ENQUETE AUPRES DES MENAGES. Feed the Future Innovation Lab for FSP Research Paper 92- FR. Michigan State University.
Published on January 1, 2018
Hamza Haider, Melinda Smale and Véronique Thériault, 2018. Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy Research Paper 92.
Published on December 8, 2017
With a rapid increase in herbicide use, the West Africa region needs to implement regulations to fight counterfeit products.