- The capital and main city is Yangon.
- The official language is Burmese
- Area: 261,228 sq mi (approx. 3x the size of the State of Michigan)
- Population approx. 52 million in 2014
- Climate: Myanmar lies in the monsoon region of Asia, with its coastal regions receiving over 5,000 mm (196.9 in) of rain annually
Fun Fact: Myanmar has the largest book in the world. The book is situated in Kuthodaw pagoda in Mandalay. It has 1460 pages and 730 leaves. Each page is 107cm (3.51 ft) wide, 13cm (5.1 in) thick and 153cm (5.02 ft) tall!
Main Research Themes
There are no news stories at this time.
Publications and Presentations
Agriculture and Rural Transformation in Myanmar: Implications for Development Strategy with a Spotlight on Shan State
Published on May 10, 2019
Ben Belton, Isabel Lambrecht, Duncan Boughton, Agriculture and Rural Transformation in Myanmar: Implications for Development Strategy with a Spotlight on Shan State. April 26, 2019.
Published on May 9, 2019
Ben Belton, Land and Rural Transformation in Southern Shan State: A Comparative Perspective, Food Security Policy Project, British Embassy, Yangon. May 9, 2019.
Published on February 15, 2019
Research Highlights, Myanmar 15: Zin Wai Aung, Hnin Ei Win, Zaw Min Naing and Soe Thu Lin, February 2019.