- The capital and main city is Nairobi. Mombasa is the second largest city.
- The official language is Kiswahili
- Area: 224,081 sq mi (approx. 2x the size of the State of Michigan)
- Population approx. 49 million in 2017
- Climate: Kenya's climate varies from tropical along the coast to temperate inland to arid in the north and northeast parts of the country
Fun Fact: Kenya shares Lake Victoria, the world’s second largest fresh water lake behind Lake Superior, with Uganda and Tanzania
Main Research Themes
- Agrifood System Transformation
- Climate Change
- Input Use and Market Development
- Policy Research and Capacity Building
- Training and Capacity Building
- Value Chain Analysis
- Youth Employment and Entrepreneurship
Publications and Presentations
Published on April 12, 2016
Mason, N. M., Wineman, A., Kirimi, L. and Mather, D. (2017), J Agric Econ, 68: 45-69.
The Rewards of an Improved Enabling Environment: How Input Market Reform Helped Kenyan Farmers Raise Their Fertilizer use by 36%
Published on February 4, 2016
Megan Sheahan, Joshua Ariga, and Thomas S. Jayne. 2016. Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy Research Brief 14.
Agricultural Mechanization and South-South Knowledge Exchange: What can Ethiopian and Kenyan policymakers learn from Bangladesh’s experience?
Published on February 1, 2016
Addisu Tadege Animaw, Jasper Alfred Mutegi Nkanya, John Mogaka Nyakiba, and Tamiru Habte Woldemariam Synthesized by Hiroyuki Takeshima. 2016. Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy Research Brief 11.
Modeling the Effects of Input Market Reforms on Fertilizer Demand and Maize Production: A Case Study from Kenya
Published on November 1, 2015
Megan Sheahan, Joshua Ariga, and Thomas S. Jayne. 2015. Modeling the Effects of Input Market Reforms on Fertilizer Demand and Maize Production: A Case Study from Kenya, Journal of Agricultural Economics, November 2015
Anticipating Africa’s Policy Challenges in the Decade Ahead: Africa’s Changing Farm Structure and Employment Challenge
Published on December 2, 2014
Regional Network of Agricultural Policy Institute (ReNAPRI). 2014. Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy Research Brief 4.