- The capital and main city is Bamako.
- The official language is French
- Area: 478,841 sq mi (approx. 4x the size of the State of Michigan)
- Population approx. 15 million in 2009
- Climate: Northern Sahara zone in Mali experiences hot and dry climate whereas the climate of Mali in the subtropical southern part is hot and humid
Fun Fact: The prime meridian marker is located in Gao, Mali, where one can literally stand on the edge of two hemispheres.
MSU and Partners achievements in Mali
Brochure in English
Les réalisations de MSU et ses partenaires au Mali
Pamphlet en français
Main Research Themes
- Agrifood System Transformation
- Input Use and Market Development
- Policy Research and Capacity Building
- Sustainable Agricultural Intensification
- Training and Capacity Building
- Value Chain Analysis
There are no entries at this time.
Publications and Presentations
Published on June 30, 2021
Vroegindewey, R., Richardson, R. B., & Thériault, V. (2021). Key factors for increasing farmer participation in markets: evidence from the Malian dairy sector. Revue d’Élevage et de Médecine Vétérinaire Des Pays Tropicaux, 74(2), 93–103.
Published on May 19, 2021
Avec les changements démographiques et socio-économiques en Afrique de l’Ouest, incluant le Mali, viennent les changements dans les habitudes alimentaires.
“Pivoting” by food industry firms to cope with COVID‐19 in developing regions: E‐commerce and “copivoting” delivery intermediaries
Published on March 30, 2021
Reardon, T., Heiman, A., Lu, L., Nuthalapati, C. S. R., Vos, R., & Zilberman, D. (2021). “Pivoting” by food industry firms to cope with COVID‐19 in developing regions: E‐commerce and “copivoting” delivery intermediaries. Agricultural Economics.
Published on November 12, 2020
Smale, M., Thériault, V., & Mason, N. M. (2020). Does subsidizing fertilizer contribute to the diet quality of farm women? Evidence from rural Mali. Food Security, 1-18. Published online 2 Sept. 2020.
Pesticide Emergency Use Authorization: An Underutilized Tool for Controlling Invasive Pests in Africa
Published on November 3, 2020
Luis Suguiyama, Steven Haggblade, Joseph E. Huesing, Regina Eddy, Shavonn R. Whiten, and Dan McGrath, 2020. Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy Research Brief 124.