- The capital and largest city is Kigali.
- The official languages are Kinyarwanda, English, French and Swahili
- Area: 10,169 sq mi (approx. 1/10 the size of the State of Michigan)
- Population approx. 11 million in 2015
- Climate: Rwanda has a temperate tropical highland climate, with lower temperatures than are typical for equatorial countries due to its high elevation.
Fun fact: Rwanda is only one of three countries in Africa where you can visit Mountain Gorillas in the Wild.
Main Research Themes
- Impact Assessment
- Input Use and Market Development
- Policy Research and Capacity Building
- Sustainable Agricultural Intensification
- Training and Capacity Building
- Value Chain Analysis
- Youth Employment and Entrepreneurship
Publications and Presentations
Mitigating Antestia Bug Damage and the Potato Taste Defect in Rwandan Coffee
Published on June 21, 2018
Andrew Gerard & Joseph Bigirimana, 2018. Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy Research Brief 63.
Pricing Coffee Cherry to Incentivize Farmers and Improve Quality
Published on August 2, 2017
FSP AGLC Team. 2017. Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy Research Brief 43.
Stakeholder Perceptions on Geographic Zoning in Rwanda’s Coffee Sector and Opportunities for Policy Adjustment
Published on August 1, 2017
Andrew Gerard, Daniel C. Clay, Maria Claudia Lopez. 2017. Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy Research Brief 42.
How Might We Create Systems that Reward Farmers for Producing High Quality Coffee?
Published on June 4, 2017
Backgrounder 10, AGLC Team, June 2017
What Are the Differences between Male and Female Heads of Household Who Produce Coffee in Rwanda?
Published on June 3, 2017
Backgrounder 9, AGLC Team, June 2017
Capacity Development Specialist
Maria Claudia Lopez
Associate Chairperson, Graduate Program Director, and Associate Professor