West Africa / Sahel
- West Africa has been defined as including 17 countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, the island nation of Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, the islands of Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo
- Area: 1,974,103 sq mi (approx. 20x the size of the State of Michigan)
- Population approx. 362 million in 2016
- Climate: In West Africa there are four different climate regions which consists of humid, tropical, savanna, desert, and steppe.
Fun fact: The West African nation of Ghana is the second largest producer of cocoa in the world. West Africa is also home to Lake Volta, the world's largest artificial lake.
Main Research Themes
- Input Use and Market Development
- Policy Research and Capacity Building
- Training and Capacity Building
- Value Chain Analysis
Publications and Presentations
Published on November 4, 2015
Boubacar Diallo, John Staatz, Oyinkan Tasie, Bino Témé, and Steve Haggblade. 2015. Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy Research Paper 7.
Published on February 1, 2012
IDWP 121. Steven Haggblade, Steven Longabaugh, Duncan Boughton, Nango Dembelé, Boubacar Diallo, John Staatz, and David Tschirley. February 2012
Promouvoir les échanges commerciaux pour réduire la pauvreté : les accords de l’ OMC et l’agriculture en Afrique de l’ Ouest. Un rapport de l’ Accord de Coopération no. II sur la sécurité alimentaire
Published on October 1, 2002
IDWP 80F. Kofi Nouve, John Staatz, David Schweikhardt, et Mbaye Yade. 2002. 36 pp.