- The capital and main city is Bamako.
- The official language is French
- Area: 478,841 sq mi (approx. 4x the size of the State of Michigan)
- Population approx. 15 million in 2009
- Climate: Northern Sahara zone in Mali experiences hot and dry climate whereas the climate of Mali in the subtropical southern part is hot and humid
Fun Fact: The prime meridian marker is located in Gao, Mali, where one can literally stand on the edge of two hemispheres.
MSU and Partners achievements in Mali
Brochure in English
Les réalisations de MSU et ses partenaires au Mali
Pamphlet en français
Main Research Themes
- Agrifood System Transformation
- Input Use and Market Development
- Policy Research and Capacity Building
- Sustainable Agricultural Intensification
- Training and Capacity Building
- Value Chain Analysis
There are no documents to show at this time.
Publications and Presentations
A Preliminary Assessment of Herbicide Quality in Mali in the Presence of Proliferating Unregistered Brands of Glyphosate
Published on February 1, 2019
Haggblade, Diarra, Assima, Keita and Traoré , 2018 .A Preliminary Assessment of Herbicide Quality in Mali in the Presence of Proliferating Unregistered Brands of Glyphosate. FSP Research Paper 93. East Lansing, Michigan State University.
Published on November 15, 2018
A brochure, in English and in French, tells the story: Institution building, policy reforms, scientist and student trainings. Réalisations de MSU et de ses partenaires au Mali.
Michigan State University signs an MoU with the University of Segou to further strengthen the collaboration on research and capacity building activities
Published on November 1, 2018
“Without good teachers, it’s like ploughing an ocean.” — Professor Souleymane Kouyate, President, University of Segou, Mali
Published on September 25, 2018
F. Kwame Yeboah & Thomas S. Jayne, Keynote Address at the Annual Conference of GIZ’s Green Innovation Centers Cotonou, Benin September 25, 2018