African Agricultural Markets Programme (AAMP) training resources
The African Agricultural Markets Program (AAMP) aimed to enhance regional capacity, policy dialogue, and coordination on agricultural input and output markets through a series of policy seminars, training, and analytical work.
Training materials were developed for this project and delivered in a series of seminars.
Seminar: “Agricultural Risks Management in Africa: Taking Stock of What Has and Hasn’t Worked” (Lilongwe, Malawi, September 6–10, 2010)
- Food price stabilization: Concepts and exercises. Nicholas Minot.
- Generating random numbers in Excel
- Model of food price stabilization
Seminar: “Food Prices Variability: Causes, Consequences, and Policy Options” (Maputo, Mozambique, January 25–30, 2010)
- Determinants of price level: the role of production cost and farm productivity. Steven Haggblade
- Marketing Margins and Marketing Costs. T.S. Jayne
- Analyzing price seasonality. Asfaw Negassa and Shahidur Rashid
- Measuring food price transmission. Nicholas Minot.
- Analyzing the interplay of macro and food policies. Shahidur Rashid.
- Impact of staple food price changes on households. Nicholas Minot.
- Price analysis exercise
Seminar: “Fertilizer Policy Symposium” (Livingstone, Zambia, June 15–19, 2009)
- Workshop Training Module. Getting Fertilizers to Farmers: How to do it? Who should do it? and Why it Should be Done?
- Objectives, outcomes, and trade-offs associated with alternative fertilizer promotion programs.
- What determines the cost of fertilizer at the farm gate? Cost build-up analysis.
- Fertilizer Supply Cost Components, Malawi. (spreadsheet)
- Fertilizer profitability analysis
- Fertilizer Profitability (spreadsheet)
- Experiences and lessons learned with alternative fertilizer promotion efforts
- Fertilizer Policy Toolkit – an Interactive Policy Tool
Seminar: “Trade in Food Staples: Promoting Price Stability and Food Security through Intra-Regional Trade” (Nairobi, Kenya, December 9–11, 2008)
- Example spreadsheets
Unit 1. Smallholder Farm Productivity
- Module 1.1. Production Cost and Farm Productivity. Haggblade (spreadsheet)
- Module 1.2. Fertilizer Supply Chain in Africa. Bumb (spreadsheet)
- Module 1.3. Fertilizer Profitability. Rashid and Minot (spreadsheet)
- Module 1.4. Options for Raising Productivity among Resource-Poor Farmers. Haggblade (spreadsheet)
Unit 2. Smallholder Commercialization
- Module 2.1. Factors Affecting Smallholder Commercialization. Jayne and Burke (spreadsheet)
- Module 2.2. Modeling Smallholder Commercialization. Minot (spreadsheet)
- Module 2.3. Macro Effects on Smallholder Commercialization. Rashid and Minot (spreadsheet)
Unit 3. Price Analysis
- Module 3.1. Analyzing Price Seasonality. Negassa and Rashid (spreadsheet)
- Module 3.2. Measuring Food Price Transmission. Minot (spreadsheet)
- Module 3.3. Households Ipact of Staple Food Price Changes. Minot (spreadsheet)
- Module 3.4. Food Price Stabilization. Minot (spreadsheet)
Unit 4. Regional Trade